Re: Problem in Pg 8.1.4 with CREATEDB

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Alexander Scholz" <alexander(dot)scholz1(at)freenet(dot)de>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem in Pg 8.1.4 with CREATEDB
Date: 2006-06-01 12:44:24
Lists: pgsql-general

The reason was that the way it was broken, a number of people had been
completely unable to use psql/pg_dump etc because in certain situations
it would (mistakenly) attempt to read the their password from a file and
not their command prompt window.

I don't think anyone ever imagined that the bug actually allowed people
to use utilities in a way that was useful to them, but unintended by
everyone else. Had we done, we would certainly have made the warnings
more obvious and considered workarounds.

Regards, Dave.