Re: Problem in Pg 8.1.4 with CREATEDB

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "Alexander Scholz" <alexander(dot)scholz1(at)freenet(dot)de>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem in Pg 8.1.4 with CREATEDB
Date: 2006-06-01 15:11:54
Lists: pgsql-general

"Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> I don't think anyone ever imagined that the bug actually allowed people
> to use utilities in a way that was useful to them, but unintended by
> everyone else. Had we done, we would certainly have made the warnings
> more obvious and considered workarounds.

Actually, we thought that this had all been resolved years ago when we
made the Unix versions work like that; fixing the Windows code to behave
like the Unix versions seemed minor.

What I find surprising is that it seems a substantial community of apps
is already in existence that have never been run with anything but
Windows Postgres.