Redefining a column within a view

From: "Schade, Jeffrey" <JSchade(at)iso(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Redefining a column within a view
Date: 2013-02-22 12:13:47
Lists: pgsql-general

We have a table which contains a 3 byte column with datatype CHAR(3)
which we want to redefine within the view as a CHAR(1) column and a
CHAR(2) column. When I code the SUBSTR function the resulting column
datatype is TEXT. I would like to see the CHAR datatype, is there
anything I can do to set the proper datatype. The sample view is below:

CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW schema.jeff_view AS

SELECT col1 ,

col2,

Substr(col3,1,1) as col3_part1,

Substr(col3,2) as col3_part2,

col4

FROM schema.jeff_table;

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jeff

Jeffrey Schade

Systems Consultant, Technology Engineering

ISO
545 Washington Boulevard
Jersey City, NJ 07310
Voice: (201) 469-3738

FAX: (201) 748-1500
jschade(at)iso(dot)com <mailto:jschade(at)iso(dot)com>

This email is intended for the recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient please disregard, and do not use the information for any purpose.