Re: PostgreSQL binaries under /usr/lib, why?

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Rafael Martinez <r(dot)m(dot)guerrero(at)usit(dot)uio(dot)no>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL binaries under /usr/lib, why?
Date: 2013-02-22 13:29:40
Lists: pgsql-general

* Rafael Martinez (r(dot)m(dot)guerrero(at)usit(dot)uio(dot)no) wrote:
> i.e. pgbench, pg_archivecleanup, pg_upgrade, initdb and several others
> are not available via /usr/bin and they should not be defined as low
> level.

initdb is wrapped through pg_createcluster and friends.
pg_archivecleanup probably isn't something you want to have changing
under your existing installation, assuming you install it as
archive_cleanup_command for a given PG version.

pgbench is a bit of an oddball and I suppose it could go either way on
that one.

> Having *all* binaries installed by a postgres package accessible via
> /usr/bin and wrappers would make live easier for many users.

pg_ctl, initdb, etc, are handled through pg_createcluster and friends
and using them independently will very likely cause a lot of grief for
new users.

In short, I'm pretty happy with the choices that Martin's made wrt what
to wrap and how, though I do understand that it can be a bit jarring for
advanced users who are coming from other distributions that don't have
the same level of infrastructure that Ubuntu/Debian have, or for users
who have been compiling from source.

Thanks,

Stephen