Re: PGXS: REGRESS_OPTS=--load-language=plpgsql

From: David E(dot) Wheeler <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Takahiro Itagaki <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PGXS: REGRESS_OPTS=--load-language=plpgsql
Date: 2010-02-19 17:07:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Feb 19, 2010, at 7:43 AM, David E. Wheeler wrote:

> Usually PGXS loads after setting all the environment variables, though I suspect that it wouldn't have any side effects to set regress_opts afterward. Also, there is no MAJORVERSION in earlier versions, so module authors would have to work around that.
>
> Basically though, you're asking all third party module authors who depend on plpgsql in their code and/or tests to modify their makefiles and release new versions to work around something that pg_regress could have fixed internally in 1-2 lines of code and be done with it.

I'm sure this is bad C and should do a case-insensitive comparison, but this is essentially what I mean:

*** a/src/test/regress/pg_regress.c
--- b/src/test/regress/pg_regress.c
*************** create_database(const char *dbname)
*** 1795,1802 ****
*/
for (sl = loadlanguage; sl != NULL; sl = sl->next)
{
! header(_("installing %s"), sl->str);
! psql_command(dbname, "CREATE LANGUAGE \"%s\"", sl->str);
}
}

--- 1795,1804 ----
*/
for (sl = loadlanguage; sl != NULL; sl = sl->next)
{
! if (sl->str != "plpgsql") {
! header(_("installing %s"), sl->str);
! psql_command(dbname, "CREATE LANGUAGE \"%s\"", sl->str);
! }
}
}

Does that seem unreasonable?