Re: an other provokative question??

From: "Dann Corbit" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>
To: <volunteer(at)spatiallink(dot)org>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: an other provokative question??
Date: 2007-09-06 20:07:00
Lists: pgsql-general

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&
ar
> ticleId=9034619
>
> kindlt explain how??

This bit is a hint:
"Column-oriented databases -- such as the one built by Stonebraker's
latest start-up, Andover, Mass.-based Vertica Systems Inc. -- store data
vertically in table columns rather than in successive rows."

Mr. Stonebraker's company sells column oriented databases. So of course
the other methods must be "obsolete".

It actually is a good idea for some operations. Database warehouses
seem to benefit from that storage scheme. All of the database systems
that I know of that use this column-oriented scheme are in-memory
database systems. I don't know if Mr. Stonebraker's is also.

There is at least one open source database that uses columns to store
the data:
http://monetdb.cwi.nl/