Re: Embedding postgresql in an application

From: Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com>
To: SF Postgres <sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Embedding postgresql in an application
Date: 2013-03-29 23:31:20
Lists: sfpug

On Mar 29, 2013, at 4:20 PM, Sam Talebbeik <sam777t(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

> Folks, I need to manually install postgresql on Ubuntu. I can not do apt-get install.

You're probably going to rethink that, sooner or later. I'd avoid doing anything
with your current method that'll make it difficult to migrate to OS-supported
versions in the future.

> It appears that the only place that you can download binary distributions is through the enterprise db web site.
> http://www.enterprisedb.com/products-services-training/pgbindownload
>
> Is the enterprise db the only officially sanctioned place to get binary distributions?

Other than all the .deb packaged or openscg versions it's probably the next place to look. It's
not really "officially sanctioned" in any meaningful way, it's just another option.

If you can't use a packaged version, and you're distributing other software anyway, you
might be better just building postgresql from source and distributing it along with your
app that way. It's a pretty painless build, and it'll let you modify paths and suchlike to
match your package file structure easily.

If you're doing much with the database it'd be polite to give users the option to point
your app at a different installation of postgresql (I have a dedicated database server,
and PG backed apps all talk to that, so HA just has to live in one place, for instance).

If not, and it's really an embedded database, sqlite is another option to look at.

Cheers,
Steve