Indexing large table of coordinates with GiST

From: Daniel Begin <jfd553(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Indexing large table of coordinates with GiST
Date: 2015-01-15 12:44:48
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi, I'm trying to create an index on coordinates (geography type) over a
large table (4.5 billion records) using GiST...

CREATE INDEX nodes_geom_idx ON nodes USING gist (geom);

The command ran for 5 days until my computer stops because a power outage!
Before restarting the index creation, I am asking the community if there are
ways to shorten the time it took the first time :-)

Any idea?

Daniel