Re: Indexing large table of coordinates with GiST

From: Vick Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Indexing large table of coordinates with GiST
Date: 2015-01-15 14:04:23
Lists: pgsql-general

I'd restructure the table to be split into perhaps 100 or so inherited
tables (or more). That many rows in a table are usually not efficient with
postgres in my experience. My target is to keep the tables under about 100
million rows. I slice them up based on the common query patterns, usually
by some ID number modulo 100. I don't really ever use date ranges like most
tutorials you'll see will suggest.