Re: materialised views vs unlogged table (also, ize vs ise)

From: Tim Kane <tim(dot)kane(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: materialised views vs unlogged table (also, ize vs ise)
Date: 2014-05-19 15:14:52
Lists: pgsql-general

>> Aside from the convenience of the REFRESH functionality, are there any other
>> factors I should consider?
> An exclusive lock is taken on the materialized view during a REFRESH
> operation, blocking an read or write queries attempted on them. You
> can tackle this limitation in the upcoming 9.4 by using REFRESH
> CONCURRENTLY, a unique index being necessary on the materialized view.
> --

Yep. Thanks Michael. I was actually trying to say that I have no need for
refresh functionality in this instance. :)

- The table/views I need will be destroyed and recreated each night.
- Refresh functionality isn’t helpful in this instance, as the underlying
tables will also be destroyed
- Crash recovery isn’t necessary

So, in this scenario - will I get any benefit from a materialised view,
that I wouldn't have from an unlogged table?

Cheers