Re: PostgreSQL vs. Microsoft SQL server

From: Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)killerbytes(dot)com>
To: Thomas Løcke <thomas(dot)granvej6(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL vs. Microsoft SQL server
Date: 2010-05-01 22:43:16
Lists: pgsql-general

On May 1, 2010, at 12:47 PM, Thomas Løcke wrote:

> The
> sales-people all bang on about MSSQL being the superior choice, and
> PostgreSQL being a "toy compared to the Microsoft RDBMS".

This is complete bullshit.

I say that as someone who spent years using MS SQL Server, and who very much enjoyed using it, and who still likes it. (Though I haven't used it much lately.)

The high-level overview is that from a technical standpoint they are both excellent products, and I consider them very much comparable for the databases I've done. They have some different specific strengths & weaknesses for sure. PG's locking scheme, MVCC, basically precludes certain specific optimizations that means a small number of very specific queries don't perform as well, while at the same time it means that throughput with multiple simultaneous connections scales extremely well with multiple processors.

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com