[Pljava-dev] pl/java and oracle compatibility

From: guyr at masergy(dot)com (Guy Rouillier)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] pl/java and oracle compatibility
Date: 2005-02-22 22:55:54
Lists: pljava-dev

Thomas Hallgren wrote:
> Rodrigo Foscarini wrote:
>
>> Hi Thomas,
>> I'm developing Oracle Database Triggers and Stored Procedures in
>> Java. I'm testing PL/Java Database Triggers in Postgresql 8.0.1.
>> Stored Functions are OK, mas database triggers are not compatible.
>> I read on gname that Oracle don't use java standards.
>> Is possible pl/java and oracle compatibility ?
>> Regards
>> Rodrigo Foscarini
>
> It's certainly possible to create an Oracle compatibility layer that
> makes the transition much easier. I'm not sure if it's possible to
> make
> it 100% compatible. Do you have some brief text somewhere that
> describes
> the Oracle trigger Java API? It's been a while since I last looked at
> it.

I just converted a bunch of Oracle triggers to PG (PL/SQL, not PL/Java).
The biggest problem I saw was that in Oracle, you can have the entire
body of your trigger code in the stored proc for the trigger. In PG,
you can only execute a function. So you have to move your Oracle logic
into a separate function, then have the trigger invoke that. But the
rest carried over pretty straightforward. But my triggers are very
simple.