[Pljava-dev] ERROR: must be superuser to examine "dynamic_library_path"

From: guyr at masergy(dot)com (Guy Rouillier)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] ERROR: must be superuser to examine "dynamic_library_path"
Date: 2004-12-16 23:16:46
Lists: pljava-dev

Thomas Hallgren wrote:
> Guy,
>
>> I've granted "All" to "public" on both the sqlj and javatest schemas.
>> But whenever I try to run any javatest functions as a user other than
>> postgres, I get the subject message. Is it possible to configure
>> this so that I don't need to grant superuser privilege to every user
>> that wants to execute Java stored procedures?
>>

> I'm afraid that you've encountered a bug. It will be fairly easy to
> fix since the code that attempts the access is obsolete. I should have
> removed it long ago. Thanks for pointing this out. I'll supply a patch
> for it later this week.
>
> If you have the source for the latest beta and know how to compile,
> you can comment out the lines 368 and 370 in
> src/C/pljava/type/Backend.c. That should fix the problem.

I did indeed build this from the source, and am happy to report that
commenting out the two lines referencing dynPath appears to have solved
this problem. Thanks, Thomas.

After learning my way around, I'll probably remove everything and start
over so I can identify the minimum permissions necessary to provide the
PLJava functionality to all database programmers. For example, after
removing superuser permission, I discovered I needed select permission
on sqlj.jar_entry in order to execute javatest.java_addone. Has this
minimum set of permissions already been identified? If not, would it be
helpful for me to write that down as I go along?

--
Guy Rouillier