9.1 to 9.2 requires a dump/reload?

From: Nikolas Everett <nik9000(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL - General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: 9.1 to 9.2 requires a dump/reload?
Date: 2012-10-22 21:55:07
Lists: pgsql-general

I was just looking at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/release-9-2.html and it
mentioned that a dump/reload cycle was required to upgrade from a previous
release. I just got done telling some of my coworkers that PG had been
bitten by this enough times that they were done with it. Am I wrong? Is
this normal?

I see that pg_upgrade is an option. Having never used how long should I
expect pg_upgrade to take? Obviously we'll measure it in our environment,
but it'd be nice to have a ballpark figure.

Nik