Re: Cross-version Compatibility of postgres_fdw

From: Etsuro Fujita <etsuro(dot)fujita(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cross-version Compatibility of postgres_fdw
Date: 2024-08-13 18:25:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Aug 13, 2024 at 12:15 PM Fujii Masao
<masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com> wrote:
> On 2024/08/09 17:49, Etsuro Fujita wrote:
> > I just thought consolidating the information to one place would make
> > the documentation more readable.
>
> Yes, so I think that adding a note about the required remote server version
> to the cross-version compatibility section would be more intuitive.
> This section already discusses the necessary server versions and limitations.
> Patch attached.

Thanks for the patch!

I noticed that we already have mentioned such a version limitation on
the analyze_sampling option outside that section (see the description
for that option in the “Cost Estimation Options” section). So my
concern is that it might be inconsistent to state only the INSERT
limitation there. Maybe I am too worried about that.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita