Encryption with customer provided key in a multi tenant Postgres JSONB DB

From: Saurav Sarkar <saurav(dot)sarkar1(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Encryption with customer provided key in a multi tenant Postgres JSONB DB
Date: 2020-11-12 05:48:55
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi All,

We use Postgres's JSONB structure for NoSQL usage.

We have a multi tenant application where for each tenant we create separate
tables . So for e.g. if i have 100 tenants then i have 100 tables.

Now we want to have encryption for the data in the tables with the tenant
provided key. Is it possible to encrypt tables in the same database with
different keys. ?

I learnt that PostgreSQL itself does not support encryption at database
level or other finer granular levels . May i please know if in future can
this be supported ? or is it not possible technically at all ?

I have posted a similar question on SF

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/64719415/encryption-with-customer-provided-key-in-a-multi-tenant-postgres-jsonb-db

Best Regards,

Saurav