Re: How to analyze a slowdown in 9.3.5?

From: Michael Nolan <htfoot(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to analyze a slowdown in 9.3.5?
Date: 2015-01-10 21:11:40
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 7:52 PM, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
wrote:

> On 9.1.2015 23:14, Michael Nolan wrote:
> > I'm running 9.3.5 on a virtual machine with 5 cores and 24 GB of
> > memory. Disk is on a SAN.
> >
> > I have a task that runs weekly that processes possibly as many as
> > 120 months worth of data, one month at a time. Since moving to 9.3.5
> > (from 8.2!!) the average time for a month has been 3 minutes or less.
>
> Congrats to migrating to a supported version!

Yeah, it's been a long and annoying 7 years since we updated the server or
database version, but I don't make the budget decisions. Going to PGCON
was frustrating when nearly all the talks were about features added several
versions after the one I was stuck running!
--
Mike Nolan
PS. Sorry about the top-posting in my last note.