Re: Add support to TLS 1.3 cipher suites and curves lists

From: Jacob Champion <jacob(dot)champion(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, Erica Zhang <ericazhangy2021(at)qq(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add support to TLS 1.3 cipher suites and curves lists
Date: 2024-07-22 17:14:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jul 12, 2024 at 1:03 PM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se> wrote:
> The original author added the string parsing in order to provide a good error
> message in case of an error in the list, and since that seemed like a nice idea
> I kept in my review revision. With what you said above I agree it's not worth
> the extra complexity it brings so the attached revision removes it.

Misspelling a group now leads to the following error message for OpenSSL 3.0:

FATAL: ECDH: failed to set curve names: no SSL error reported

Maybe a HINT would be nice here?:

HINT: Check that each group name is both spelled correctly and
supported by the installed version of OpenSSL.

or something.

> I don't have strong opinions on
> renaming ssl_ecdh_curve to reflect that it can take a list of multiple values,
> there is merit to having descriptive names but it would also be an invasive
> change for adding suffix 's'.

Can we just add an entry to map_old_guc_names to handle it? Something
like (untested)

static const char *const map_old_guc_names[] = {
"sort_mem", "work_mem",
"vacuum_mem", "maintenance_work_mem",
+ "ssl_ecdh_curve", "ssl_groups",
NULL
};

Re: Andres' concern about the ECDH part of the name, we could probably
keep the "dh" part, but I'd be wary of that changing underneath us
too. IANA changed the registry name to "TLS Supported Groups".

Thanks,
--Jacob