Re: [PoC] Federated Authn/z with OAUTHBEARER

From: Jacob Champion <jacob(dot)champion(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Subject: Re: [PoC] Federated Authn/z with OAUTHBEARER
Date: 2024-08-02 17:51:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Aug 2, 2024 at 10:13 AM Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org> wrote:
> You shouldn't use pfree() interchangeably with free(), even if that is
> not enforced because it's the same thing underneath. First, it just
> makes sense to keep the alloc and free pairs matched up. And second, on
> Windows there is some additional restriction (vague knowledge) that the
> allocate and free functions must be in the same library, so mixing them
> freely might not even work.

Ah, I forgot about the CRT problems on Windows. So my statement of
"the linker might not garbage collect" is pretty much irrelevant.

But it sounds like we agree that we shouldn't be using fe_memutils at
all in shlib builds. (If you can't use palloc -- it calls exit -- then
you can't use pfree either.) Is 0002 still worth pursuing, once I've
correctly wordsmithed the commit? Or did I misunderstand your point?

Thanks!
--Jacob