Re: Finally upgrading to 9.6!

From: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Finally upgrading to 9.6!
Date: 2017-10-18 17:32:11
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 11:26 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
> On 10/18/2017 08:49 AM, Ron Johnson wrote:

>>> Then think of it as 9.7.0 but with an easier name to pronounce ;)
>>

>> No .0 is going into production...
>>

> I am not sure why this is even a question. There are plenty of businesses
> that can risk the deployment of a .0 release but there are also *MANY THAT
> CAN NOT*. The proper way to do this is to have a staging server running the
> .0 release that gets beaten on by the application for a few months and
> reports anything back to the community they find.

In a past job I would routinely setup a slony slave running the new
version to check to make sure the new version wouldn't choke on the
data in the master etc, then start using it as a read slave after a
few months to make sure the app got along with it as a read only
source, then finally look at promoting it to master, with the option
to unpromote it should things explode. Minimal downtime for upgrades
AND a path back to the old version quickly if needed.

All while having setup dev and stage servers ahead of time to get
beaten on of course.