Re: server registration problems

From: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ivan Pašić <ivanpasic(dot)zd(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: server registration problems
Date: 2012-12-22 05:21:29
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 12:59 AM, Ivan Pašić <ivanpasic(dot)zd(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi, I installed postgresql 8.4 and I set port number in installation as
> 5432. I also installed PostGIS and everything was working well. But now I
> wanted to create new server with port number 54321 but I can't do it because
> it gives me error ''Server doesn't listen''. I was reading about that in the
> postgre documentation, I know that I must set listen_addresses='*' but it's
> already done, so I really don't know where is a problem. Probably it's
> because i put port number as 5432 in installation process but is there no
> way to add lately new server with different port?? I would really appreciate
> if you could help me. Thank you very much!

The usual. What OS, what method of installation, what pg version etc.
Also exact things you did / typed in to get that error message etc.
for instance in ubuntu I'd just do this:

sudo pg_createcluster -p54321 8.4 mycluster

to do this. But on other OSes the steps may be quite different. So,
what exactly are you doing to try and make this happen?