testing database consistency

From: Raphael Bauduin <rblists(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: testing database consistency
Date: 2013-10-24 07:18:59
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

I have a postgresql running in a virtual machine (linux, kvm).
I wanted to test that the backup, which takes a copy of the disk image, is
valid and usable.

I have taken a copy of the disk image and run it fine on another computer.
However, just starting the server succesfully does not mean there is no
corrupted data in the database. This is why I'm looking to a way to
validate that all the data stored in the postgresql is ok, ie consistent
and usable. Does anyone have advices on how to best check the validity of
the whole database?

Thanks in advance!

Raphaël