Re: Using constraint exclusion with 2 floats

From: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Using constraint exclusion with 2 floats
Date: 2011-10-12 21:40:05
Lists: pgsql-general

Thank you for your answer.

I'm sorry I really didn't explained well my problem :/

For example if I have a table test like this :
CREATE TABLE test (min real not null, max real not null, desc character
varying not null);

and I want a constraint exclusion to make sure the range min/max doens't
overlap

I can't write ALTER TABLE test add constraint test_exclude EXCLUDE USING
btree ((min,max) WITH &&)

I saw the extension temporal gives a new type PERIOD and has operators like
&&, but only for timestamp, so I'm wondering if I must code something
something similar or if there's is an easier way