Re: Are file system level differential/incremental backups possible?

From: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bob Hatfield <bobhatfield(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Are file system level differential/incremental backups possible?
Date: 2011-10-12 21:45:57
Lists: pgsql-general

As there's one file for each object, a single update on each would make you
to copy the all the file again. I heard there was tool to make differentiel
copy of a part of a file but I don't know if it's really efficient.

Anyway, a better way for you would be to do a regular backup (with
pg_start_backup, copy and pg_stop_backup) and then use wal archive_command
to keep the xlogs between 2 full backups.