Re: Upgrade questions

From: Carson Gross <carsongross(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Upgrade questions
Date: 2012-03-14 03:24:09
Lists: pgsql-general

Got it.

Thank you, that's very helpful: we could delete quite a few of the rows
before we did the operation and cut way down on the size of the table
before we issue the update. Trimming the table size down seems obvious
enough, but that's good confirmation that it will very much help. And
there are quite a few indexes that I've discovered are useless, so dropping
those will speed things up too.

Looking online I see that a query progress indicator is a commonly
requested feature, but isn't yet implemented, so it sound like my best bet
is to clone the db on similar hardware, take all the advice offered here,
and just see how it performs.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback,
Carson