Re: Containerizing PostgreSQL

From: Ron Johnson <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Containerizing PostgreSQL
Date: 2024-08-20 02:45:46
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Mon, Aug 19, 2024 at 9:34 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 22, 2024 at 06:01:46AM +0000, Cainzos Yvan wrote:
> > Dear All,
> >

> > What is your experience with containerizing PostgreSQL, particularly on
> > OpenShift?
> >
> > I am looking to identify the advantages and disadvantages of this type of
> > architecture, mainly from an operational standpoint.
> >
> > I am interested in preferred use cases and those to be avoided.
> >
> > Thank you for sharing your experience.
>
> This presentation might be helpful, and its videos:
>
> https://momjian.us/main/presentations/administration.html#cloud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKJBpcoRAsc#t=1h26m46s

The important bits start here, I think.

Distilled:
1. Do you have an existing VM infrastructure, like VMware?
2a. Do you *frequently* create new PG instances?
2b. Do you have *hundreds* of PG instances?

For me, the answers are "yes" and "no,no".

I've got a "design document" and common config files in a shared
directory. Need a new PG server? I give a standard list of mount points
and port numbers to the VM build team, and they come back with a server
that has RHEL installed, and ports open. "yum install" a set of RPMs from
PGDG. Five minutes later, I sudo to postgres, cp config file templates and
run some sed commands. Up comes PG!

Patching happens every three months; yum and bash scripts which I've
developed over time make that pretty darned fast and painless.

Thus, PG containers are of no use *to us*. Lots of application containers,
but that's outside my domain.

--
Death to America, and butter sauce.
Iraq lobster!