Re: Installation of PostGIS without internet or with limited internet access

From: Ron Johnson <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Installation of PostGIS without internet or with limited internet access
Date: 2024-04-18 17:12:55
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, Apr 18, 2024 at 10:20 AM Ramiro Sanchez <
ramiros(at)unitechiberoamericana(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi, we need to install PostGIS on a RHEL 8 server, which contains highly
> sensitive information and therefore does not have internet access.
>
> So, we attempted an offline installation but were unsuccessful.
>
> As an alternative, we enabled internet access to specific required sites
> for the installation, for example:
>
> -
> https://download.postgresql.org/pub/repos/yum/reporpms/EL-8-x86_64/pgdg-redhat-repo-latest.noarch.rpm
> -
> https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/epel-release-latest-8.noarch.rpm
> -
> https://cdn.redhat.com/content/dist/rhel8/8/x86_64/appstream/os/repodata/repomd.xml
> -
> https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=epel-8&arch=x86_64&infra=$infra&content=$contentdir
>
> It's worth noting that this alternative also didn't work, as several
> errors occurred.
>
> So, we have the following questions:
>
> 1. Is it possible to perform an offline installation of PostGIS? If
> so, how?
> 2. Is it possible to obtain a list of all the required sites during
> the installation of PostGIS? This way, it would be possible to enable
> internet access only for these sites.

I manually* download the relevant files from
https://download.postgresql.org/pub/repos/yum/common/redhat/rhel-8-x86_64
and https://download.postgresql.org/pub/repos/yum/15/redhatrhel-8-x86_64 to
my laptop, then use WinSCP to copy them to my firewall-restricted Linux
servers. Then "yum install". Works like a charm.

Yes, I had to manually determine the package names, but that was a one-time
process. Now, I just update the version numbers in my Windows shell script.

*technically, with a PowerShell script.