Re: Different Data Directories For Different Databases In One Instance

From: MichaelDBA <MichaelDBA(at)sqlexec(dot)com>
To: Ron Johnson <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Different Data Directories For Different Databases In One Instance
Date: 2024-04-18 13:28:57
Lists: pgsql-admin

You cannot simply re-assign tablespaces to different PostreSQL
instances.  You still must export and import them. You can physically
copy a tablespace location to another location (file copy) within a PG
instance, and then change the directory assignment (symlinks) for those
tablespaces.  This is often used when folks need a bigger space for
their data or a faster or slower device.

Ron Johnson wrote on 4/18/2024 9:09 AM:
> On Thu, Apr 18, 2024 at 9:04 AM Phani Prathyush Somayajula
> <phani(dot)somayajula(at)pragmaticplay(dot)com
> <mailto:phani(dot)somayajula(at)pragmaticplay(dot)com>> wrote:
>
> Hi @pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
> <mailto:pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org> ,
>
> I have 2 mounts /data/feed  & /data/bets
>
> I have postgres-dev server on which I have 6 feed databases (let’s
> say a,b,c,d,e,f) and 4 bets databases(lets say g,h,i,j)
>
> I want to group the data directories based on the databases, and
> they all should be running from the same instance. Can I achieve
> this ?
>

> Tablespaces.
>
> Or if not, can you suggest me a work-around to achieve this
>

> Symlinks. But tablespaces are the canonical solution.

Regards,

Michael Vitale

Michaeldba(at)sqlexec(dot)com <mailto:michaelvitale(at)sqlexec(dot)com>

703-600-9343