Re: Mimic ALIAS in Postgresql?

From: Ron Johnson <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Mimic ALIAS in Postgresql?
Date: 2024-01-16 18:11:59
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Jan 16, 2024 at 12:40 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
wrote:

> On 1/16/24 09:20, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > Some RDBMSs have CREATE ALIAS, which allows you to refer to a table by a
> > different name (while also referring to it by the original name).
> >

> > Maybe updatable views?
> > CREATE VIEW mtqry.sometable AS SELECT * FROM mtuser.sometable;
> >

> Assuming sometable is the same name in both schemas then the above will
> not work as:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-createview.html
>
> "The name of the view must be distinct from the name of any other
> relation (table, sequence, index, view, materialized view, or foreign
> table) in the same schema."
>
> You would get a conflict with the existing table MTQRY.sometable.
>

> CREATE VIEW mtqry.sometable AS SELECT * FROM mtuser.sometable;

But mtqry is not the same schema as mtuser..

dba=# create schema mtuser;
CREATE SCHEMA
dba=# create schema mtqry;
CREATE SCHEMA
dba=#
dba=# create table mtuser.sometable(f1 int);
CREATE TABLE
dba=#
dba=# create view mtqry.sometable as select * from mtuser.sometable;
CREATE VIEW

But what are the down-sides that I haven't thought of?