Re: PostgreSQL on netapp AFF C250A storage ?

From: Ron Johnson <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL on netapp AFF C250A storage ?
Date: 2024-05-11 13:05:13
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Sat, May 11, 2024 at 4:24 AM Achilleas Mantzios <
a(dot)mantzios(at)cloud(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com> wrote:

> Στις 10/5/24 14:30, ο/η Achilleas Mantzios - cloud έγραψε:
> > Hello All
> >
> > Has anyone run PostgreSQL on netapp AFF C250A storage ? Have you run
> > into any problems regarding reliability or performance ?
> >
> > Thank you
> >
> Just to make our situation more clear, we are thinking about moving from
> cloud to premise again, for the moment this is just a long term vision.
> So nothing is cemented, but we have purchased a couple of those systems
> already so I'd like to know your general experience with running
> PostgreSQL on netapp AFF.
>
> Or maybe recommend something else.
>
> I am the same guy who had sent this message 9 years earlier :
>

> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/5502C98F.2090806%40matrix.gatewaynet.com
>
> Then in summer 2016 while on vacations I lost the WAL disk.

Backups... take them early, take them often, and make sure they restore
properly. Then you can run on cheaper hardware with some confidence that
all your data will still be there.

I'm a big fan of PgBackRest. Our infrastructure is (so far) reliable, and
Postgresql is (so far) too, so I've never had to do a crash recovery, but
the applications or users occasionally break something, and then it's OMG
WE MUST RESTORE THE DATABASE NOW!!! PgBR's continuous and integrated PITR
has always worked perfectly for us.