Re: Best way to stop Streaming Replication?

From: Ron Johnson <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Samed YILDIRIM <samed(at)reddoc(dot)net>
Cc: kaido vaikla <kaido(dot)vaikla(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Best way to stop Streaming Replication?
Date: 2023-12-23 17:34:22
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Fri, Dec 22, 2023 at 4:38 PM Samed YILDIRIM <samed(at)reddoc(dot)net> wrote:

> Hi Ron,
>
> What is your main goal?

The main goal is to *stop* replication, not pause it. (I chose the word
carefully, but your questions are understandable.)

> What is the purpose of stopping replication?
> What will you do with replication when you have stopped it?

Are you trying to stop replaying transaction logs from the master and keep
> the replica running?

Want the replica still up, but does not matter if it's in replica mode.

> Will you resume log replay at some point?

No.

> Do you want to break replication completely while keeping standby
> receiving read-only queries?

How do you do that?

> Have you checked the pg_wal_replay_pause() function?
> Ref:
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/functions-admin.html#FUNCTIONS-RECOVERY-CONTROL-TABLE

Yes, that's for pausing, not stopping.