Re: Way to quickly detect if database tables/columns/etc. were modified?

From: Melvin Davidson <melvin6925(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
Cc: Evan Martin <postgresql2(at)realityexists(dot)net>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org general" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Way to quickly detect if database tables/columns/etc. were modified?
Date: 2016-10-31 19:26:22
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 2:09 PM, John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com> wrote:

> > On Oct 31, 2016, at 8:14 AM, Melvin Davidson <melvin6925(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
> >
> > That would certainly work, but the problem is, that trigger would have
> to be created for every table in the database.
> > When you have more than a couple dozen tables, as in hundreds, it
> becsmes a huge undertaking.
>
> Unless I'm misunderstanding the documentation, you create the trigger on
> the "ddl event" not a table. The events are ddl_command_start,
> ddl_command_end, table_rewrite and sql_drop. I have not used this feature,
> but it seems like you would just need one function.
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/event-
> trigger-definition.html
>
> John DeSoi, Ph.D.

I have tried using an event trigger to detect table creation (ie:
tg_event_audit_all ) however, that does not parse the schema_name and objid
as does pg_event_trigger_dropped_objects(), so I am not sure that is a
practical way to audit.

--
*Melvin Davidson*
I reserve the right to fantasize. Whether or not you