Re: [BUG?] check_exclusion_or_unique_constraint false negative

From: Michail Nikolaev <michail(dot)nikolaev(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: Re: [BUG?] check_exclusion_or_unique_constraint false negative
Date: 2024-08-05 11:11:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello!

> Right, but we are extending this functionality to detect and resolve
> such conflicts [1][2]. I am hoping after that such updates won't be
> missed.

Yes, this is a nice feature. However, without the DirtySnapshot index scan
fix, it will fail in numerous instances, especially in master-master
replication.

The update_missing feature is helpful in this case, but it is still not the
correct event because a real tuple exists, and we should receive
update_differ instead. As a result, some conflict resolution systems may
malfunction. For example, if the resolution method is set to apply_or_skip,
it will insert the new row, causing two rows to exist. This system is quite
fragile, and I am sure there are many more complicated scenarios that could
arise.
Best regards,
Mikhail.