Re: Proposal to Enable/Disable Index using ALTER INDEX (with patch)

From: Shayon Mukherjee <shayonj(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal to Enable/Disable Index using ALTER INDEX (with patch)
Date: 2024-10-17 13:59:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Oct 16, 2024, at 6:01 PM, Shayon Mukherjee <shayonj(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

I'll take some time to think this through and familiarize myself with the
new systable_inplace_update_begin. In the meantime, aside from the in-place
updates on pg_index, I would love to learn any first impressions or
feedback on the patch folks may have.

My take away from whether or not an in-place update is needed on pg_index
[1]

- It’s unclear to me why it’s needed.
- I understand the xmin would get incremented when using CatalogTupleUpdate
to update indisenabled.
- However, I haven’t been able to replicate any odd behavior locally or CI.
- FWIW - REINDEX CONCURRENTLY (via index_swap), index_constraint_create
and few other places perform CatalogTupleUpdate to update the relevant
attributes as well.

Based on the above summary and after my testing I would like to propose a
v3 of the patch. The only difference between this and v1 [2] is that the
update of pg_index row happens via CatalogTupleUpdate.

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20180618215635.m5vrnxdxhxytvmcm@alap3.anarazel.de
[2]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/EF2313B8-A017-4869-9B7F-A24EDD8795DE%40gmail.com

Thank you for bearing with me on this :D
Shayon

Attachment Content-Type Size
v3-0001-Introduce-the-ability-to-enable-disable-indexes-u.patch application/octet-stream 50.1 KB