Re: doc: virtual envs with Pl/Python

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Florents Tselai <florents(dot)tselai(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: doc: virtual envs with Pl/Python
Date: 2024-10-17 14:10:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 17.10.24 15:56, Tom Lane wrote:
> Florents Tselai <florents(dot)tselai(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> I think there should be a mention of virtual environments in the plpython
>> docs.
>
> Why? We are not here to teach people how to use Python. More, this
> patch seems like not merely teaching Python, but teaching the use of
> specific Python installation patterns that might or might not apply
> on a particular platform. That's not going to scale.

Virtual environments are a standard part of Python now, so maybe there
is something to this. But personally I don't understand this. Do you
mean for this to select the Python environment that PL/Python is built
against, or do you want to use the virtual environment at run time? The
text says "installing" and talks about package managers. It's unclear
to me at exactly what step this is supposed to apply.