Re: What should I do after a power loss?

From: Patrik Karlsson <pata(dot)karlsson(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: What should I do after a power loss?
Date: 2015-11-07 08:15:51
Lists: pgsql-novice

> Patrik Karlsson <pata(dot)karlsson(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> > I had a power loss on a Windows 7 machine running PostgreSQL
> > 9.4.4.
>
> As long as you were running with fsync = on and full_page_writes =
> on, and the OS and hardware honor fsync requests, your database
> should not have been corrupted. If you were running with

Yes it was, I verified it and it was the default setting I had.

> It sounds unlikely that you will need to go back to the backup, but
> out of paranoia I would keep that particular backup around for a
> few months, in addition to the usual backup rotation.

I kept it but I have not felt the need to use it, everything is ok.

> > I would like to confirm that everything is ok, how can I do that,
> > (with pgAdmin)?
>
> PostgreSQL is designed to come back from such an event without data
> loss or corruption, and there is no one tool to comprehensively
> look for all forms of inconsistency. You might want to consider
> running pg_catcheck, just to make sure it doesn't find anything
> odd.
>
> https://github.com/EnterpriseDB/pg_catcheck

I could not get it to work on the windows machine but I'll keep it in mind.

This was a while back and I have now moved the database to a more stable
and monitored environment.

Thanks for your advice.

/Patrik