Re: serialization failure why?

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>
Cc: Filipe Pina <filipe(dot)pina(at)impactzero(dot)pt>, Bill Moran <wmoran(at)potentialtech(dot)com>, Postgresql General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: serialization failure why?
Date: 2015-06-18 10:51:34
Lists: pgsql-general

On 17 June 2015 at 13:52, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com> wrote:

> Filipe Pina <filipe(dot)pina(at)impactzero(dot)pt> wrote:
>
> > if drop the foreign key constraint on stuff_ext table there are
> > no failures at all…
>
> It is my recollection that we were excluding the queries used to
> enforce referential integrity constraints from the conflict
> tracking, so I am surprised you are seeing this. What is the exact
> version you are using (as reported by the version() function)?

I don't see any mechanism for excluding anything from serializable checks,
so I can't see how that would work.

I can't find any mention of serializability concerns in the RI code itself.

AFAIK it would be strange to exclude FK checks from serializability checks,
since they represent a valid observation of an intermediate state.

Mat Views are excluded but I don't understand why that should be the case.
There is no documented explanation.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
<http://www.2ndquadrant.com/>