Re: effective_cache_size

From: Nikolay Samokhvalov <samokhvalov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, nat(at)makarevitch(dot)org, peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: effective_cache_size
Date: 2019-11-03 23:35:51
Lists: pgsql-docs

A follow-up on this:

Should documentation also mention that it does not make sense to set
effective_cache_size < shared_buffers? And maybe it is worth prohibiting
this or at least having a WARNING in logs?

Why: I see setups where with growing RAM and shared_buffers set to 25%,
effective_cache_size remains untuned, at some point significantly below the
value of shared_buffers.