Re: Copy & paste key commands not working correctly

From: Gabriel Sánchez <gabrielesanchez(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: johannes graën <johannes(at)selfnet(dot)de>, pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Copy & paste key commands not working correctly
Date: 2016-02-16 12:23:18
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Feb 16, 2016 7:04 AM, "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 11:06 AM, johannes graën <johannes(at)selfnet(dot)de>
wrote:

>> On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 12:00 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>> > Where did your build come from? What version of wxWidgets is it using?
>>
>> It's an official Arch package:
>> https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/pgadmin3/
>

> Huh, they have some weird dependencies listed there, that should not be
needed. That's not a problem though.

>> The wxWidgets version is 2.8.12.1:
>> https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/wxgtk2.8/
>

> That should be OK (some distros have started using wxWidgets 3, which we
don't fully support).

> I've done some more testing on CentOS 6, and cannot reproduce a problem
there either. I'm beginning to wonder if it's something more
distro-specific, perhaps related to the version of GTK in use, or the
window manager. That makes it *far* more difficult to track down
unfortunately.

> Are you in a position to be able to install the EDB PostgreSQL installer?
I'm curious to know if the build of pgAdmin that's included with that works
OK. It was built against a fairly old version of GTK for maximum
compatibility with different distros.

> http://www.enterprisedb.com/products-services-training/pgdownload

I have the problem in Kububtu with the version downloaded from edb. As far
as I can tell, pgAdmin is not copying text when I hit copy either by
keyboard, shortcut, or menu. I checked my clipboard manager last time this
happened and the text was not there. Again, it doesn't happen always, but
it persists in a pgAdmin window once it begins to happen, and the copy does
happen eventually. Other laggy behavior showing up when this happens (such
as taking a full second to respond to a key press, and not registering all
key presses when this happens and I nevertheless type fast) suggests to me
that the problem is very slow cursor movement or text processing.

I have been trying to notice a pattern of what triggers it, but have not
seen any. It does happen often on windows with long queries and after
several copy paste ops within the window or between pgAdmin windows. But
not always. However I use many other programs and only see this bug with
pgAdmin.

Just want to add my thanks for this project, Dave. Great program, and I'm
looking forward to v4!