Re: Copy & paste key commands not working correctly

From: Gabriel E(dot) Sánchez Martínez <gabrielesanchez(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: johannes graën <johannes(at)selfnet(dot)de>, pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Copy & paste key commands not working correctly
Date: 2016-02-16 15:20:47
Lists: pgadmin-support

On 02/16/2016 07:23 AM, Gabriel Sánchez wrote:

> On Feb 16, 2016 7:04 AM, "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org
> <mailto:dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>> wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 11:06 AM, johannes graën
> <johannes(at)selfnet(dot)de <mailto:johannes(at)selfnet(dot)de>> wrote:

> using?
> >>
> >> It's an official Arch package:
> >> https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/pgadmin3/
> >

> > Huh, they have some weird dependencies listed there, that should not
> be needed. That's not a problem though.
> >

> >> The wxWidgets version is 2.8.12.1 <http://2.8.12.1>:
> >> https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/wxgtk2.8/
> >

> > That should be OK (some distros have started using wxWidgets 3,
> which we don't fully support).
> >
> > I've done some more testing on CentOS 6, and cannot reproduce a
> problem there either. I'm beginning to wonder if it's something more
> distro-specific, perhaps related to the version of GTK in use, or the
> window manager. That makes it *far* more difficult to track down
> unfortunately.
> >
> > Are you in a position to be able to install the EDB PostgreSQL
> installer? I'm curious to know if the build of pgAdmin that's included
> with that works OK. It was built against a fairly old version of GTK
> for maximum compatibility with different distros.
> >
> > http://www.enterprisedb.com/products-services-training/pgdownload
> >

> I have the problem in Kububtu with the version downloaded from edb. As
> far as I can tell, pgAdmin is not copying text when I hit copy either
> by keyboard, shortcut, or menu. I checked my clipboard manager last
> time this happened and the text was not there. Again, it doesn't
> happen always, but it persists in a pgAdmin window once it begins to
> happen, and the copy does happen eventually. Other laggy behavior
> showing up when this happens (such as taking a full second to respond
> to a key press, and not registering all key presses when this happens
> and I nevertheless type fast) suggests to me that the problem is very
> slow cursor movement or text processing.
>
> I have been trying to notice a pattern of what triggers it, but have
> not seen any. It does happen often on windows with long queries and
> after several copy paste ops within the window or between pgAdmin
> windows. But not always. However I use many other programs and only
> see this bug with pgAdmin.
>
> Just want to add my thanks for this project, Dave. Great program, and
> I'm looking forward to v4!

Following up, I upgraded from 1.20 to 1.22.1 from a fresh EDB download.
I opened a query window, copied in some text, and began copy-pasting and
typing randomly, and was able to reproduce the bug within a minute. I
recorded video, which you can get here:

http://www.filedropper.com/screencast2016-02-16100737

You can see that I am selecting text. Following every selection, I
quickly do a copy, and then I move the cursor somewhere and do a paste.
I also type random keys. Everything works as expected until about 0:34,
when I try to paste and it doesn't. Then I type quickly "asdfjkl;" many
times, and you can see only a few of those keys are typed, and the
response is laggy. I try pasting several times again in the lines
below, but it still doesn't work (0:40). I type again, and response
seems to be a bit better. I try paste again and this time it works
(0:46). While on this video it seems to have recovered, my experience
has been that it doesn't. It's especially annoying when you have a
session with temporary tables that take a long time to prepare, because
it costs time to start a new session and re-make the temporary tables.

Once again, many thanks for your attention to this.