Re: PGAdmin 4 - where are the SSL certificate options?

From: Gabriel Sánchez <gabrielesanchez(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Durumdara <durumdara(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PGAdmin 4 - where are the SSL certificate options?
Date: 2016-08-24 12:52:04
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Aug 24, 2016 7:14 AM, "Durumdara" <durumdara(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Dear Developers!
>
> We got a server which uses SSL connection with "ca-verify" mode only.
>
> It's very funny that I didn't find any software which supports this mode
except pgAdmin3.

Although i haven't tried in a long time, I was able to get LibreOffice Base
connected with client certificate authentication. And of course, the
headless psql client supports certificate authentication and is quite
reliable.

> I checked HeidiSQL, DBeaver, EMS Manager Lite, and PGAdmin.
>
> With PGAdminIII I can connect, but it's very sensitive to network and it
crashes randomly.

I face a similar situation. pgAdmin3 does crash especially with poor
quality network connections.

> And it's interesting - PGA3 can't connect without defining the root
crt... Why???

The root ca certificate is required to verify that the client is trusted by
the ca, and therefore by the server. It is also required to verify that the
server is trusted, so you know you are connecting to your server rather
than an impostor put up by hackers with a man-in-the-middle attack, dns
poisoning, etc.

> EMS only plans the SSL with certificate.
>
> Yesterday I installed PGA4, but I didn't find any option for
certificates... Hmmm...

The client certificate authentication mechanism has not yet been developped
for pgAdmin4. The feature has been requested, but I don't know if anyone
has started working on it. I look forward to the addition of authentication
options in pgAdmin4.