Re: meson and check-tests

From: Nazir Bilal Yavuz <byavuz81(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: jian he <jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tristan Partin <tristan(at)partin(dot)io>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: meson and check-tests
Date: 2024-09-23 09:25:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Mon, 23 Sept 2024 at 11:46, Nazir Bilal Yavuz <byavuz81(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Sept 2024 at 09:01, jian he <jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > in [1] you mentioned "setup", but that "setup" is more or less like
> > "meson test --suite setup --suite regress"
> > but originally, I thought was about "src/test/regress/sql/test_setup.sql".
> > for example, now you cannot run src/test/regress/sql/stats_ext.sql
> > without first running test_setup.sql, because some functions (like fipshash)
> > live in test_setup.sql.
>
> Postgres binaries are created at the build step in the make builds so
> these binaries can be used for the tests. But in the meson builds,
> they are created at the 'meson test --suite setup' for the testing
> ('meson install' command creates binaries as well but they are not for
> testing, they are for installing binaries to the OS). So, 'meson test
> --suite setup' should be run before running regression tests.

The above sentence lacks some information. It appears that if binaries
are not created beforehand (only running configure, not make), they
are generated during tests in the make builds. This also applies to
meson builds when the meson test command is run, as meson executes
setup suite tests first, which creates the binaries. However, if we
specify a different test suite, like regress in this case, the setup
suite tests are not executed, and the binaries are not created,
preventing the tests from running. I am not sure how to configure
meson builds to run setup suite tests if they are not executed
beforehand.

--
Regards,
Nazir Bilal Yavuz