Re: meson and check-tests

From: Nazir Bilal Yavuz <byavuz81(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: jian he <jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tristan Partin <tristan(at)partin(dot)io>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: meson and check-tests
Date: 2024-09-23 08:46:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Sat, 21 Sept 2024 at 09:01, jian he <jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> hi. Thanks for your work!

Thank you for looking into this!

> I do find some issues.
>

> TESTS="copy jsonb jsonb" meson test --suite regress
> one will fail. not sure this is expected?

Yes, that is expected.

> in [1] you mentioned "setup", but that "setup" is more or less like
> "meson test --suite setup --suite regress"
> but originally, I thought was about "src/test/regress/sql/test_setup.sql".
> for example, now you cannot run src/test/regress/sql/stats_ext.sql
> without first running test_setup.sql, because some functions (like fipshash)
> live in test_setup.sql.

Postgres binaries are created at the build step in the make builds so
these binaries can be used for the tests. But in the meson builds,
they are created at the 'meson test --suite setup' for the testing
('meson install' command creates binaries as well but they are not for
testing, they are for installing binaries to the OS). So, 'meson test
--suite setup' should be run before running regression tests.

> so
> TESTS="copy jsonb stats_ext" meson test --suite regress
> will fail.
>
> to make it work we need change it to
> TESTS="test_setup copy jsonb stats_ext" meson test --suite regress
>
> Many tests depend on test_setup.sql, maybe we can implicitly prepend it.
> Another dependency issue. alter_table depending on create_index.
>
> TESTS="test_setup alter_table" meson test --suite regress
> will fail.
> TESTS="test_setup create_index alter_table" meson test --suite regress
> will work.

Yes, I realized that but since that is how it is done in the make
builds, I didn't want to change the behaviour. Also, I think it makes
sense to leave it to the tester. It is more flexible in that way.

--
Regards,
Nazir Bilal Yavuz