Re: Is it safe to rename an index through pg_class update?

From: Kouber Saparev <kouber(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is it safe to rename an index through pg_class update?
Date: 2020-03-09 15:47:23
Lists: pgsql-general

На пт, 6.03.2020 г. в 21:00 Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> написа:

> Hi,
>
> On 2020-02-27 10:52:36 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > FWIW, I can't immediately think of a reason this would cause a problem,
> > at least not on 9.4 and up which use MVCC catalog scans. If you're
> > really still on 9.3 then it's notably more risky. In any case, I've
> > not had any caffeine yet today, so this doesn't count for much.
>
> It likely could cause some problems if somebody concurrently executed
> DDL affecting the same table. At least some "concurrently updated"
> errors, and perhaps some worse ones. I'd at least add an explicit LOCK
> TABLE on the underlying table that prevents concurrent catalog
> modifications.

I am trying to escape the Access Exclusive lock over the table indeed,
otherwise I would use the ALTER statement instead anyway, which makes a
lock implicitly. Thanks for the responses. There is nobody else doing DDLs
except me - Mr. DBA, so I guess I am safe on this side. ;)

Cheers,
--
Kouber Saparev