Re: Is it safe to rename an index through pg_class update?

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Kouber Saparev <kouber(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is it safe to rename an index through pg_class update?
Date: 2020-03-06 17:38:05
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

On 2020-02-27 10:52:36 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> FWIW, I can't immediately think of a reason this would cause a problem,
> at least not on 9.4 and up which use MVCC catalog scans. If you're
> really still on 9.3 then it's notably more risky. In any case, I've
> not had any caffeine yet today, so this doesn't count for much.

It likely could cause some problems if somebody concurrently executed
DDL affecting the same table. At least some "concurrently updated"
errors, and perhaps some worse ones. I'd at least add an explicit LOCK
TABLE on the underlying table that prevents concurrent catalog
modifications.

Greetings,

Andres Freund