Version management for extensions

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Version management for extensions
Date: 2015-10-08 21:47:51
Lists: pgsql-general

I am facing a scenario where I have different version of an extension, say
1.0 and 2.0, which have some different functionality between them (so not
merely a bug fix), so people might want to continue to use 1.0.

But changes to the PostgreSQL software between major versions requires
changes to the extension's source code.

So I basically have 4 versions to carry:

1.0_for_9.4_or_before
2.0_for_9.4_or_before
1.0_for_9.5
2.0_for_9.5

Is there some easy way to handle this? Are there examples of existing
modules which have a similar situation (and which handle it well) on PGXN
or pgfoundry or other public repositories?

Cheers,

Jeff