Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Kam Lasater <ckl(at)seekayel(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!
Date: 2015-09-23 21:09:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 11:43 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 2:30 PM, Kam Lasater <ckl(at)seekayel(dot)com> wrote:
> > Thanks for the suggestion. However, an issue tracker is not a
> > replacement for mailing list(s) and vice versa. They are both
> > necessary for success.
>
> I venture to say that we are succeeding as it is, although of course
> we might have more success if we did some things better, including
> this.

For whatever it is worth, one of the frustrations I've had with projects
(other than PostgreSQL) of which I am a casual users is that reporting a
single bug meant signing up for yet another account on yet another site and
learning yet another bug tracking system.

I think the email based system is more friendly for the casual user. You
don't even have to sign up for the bugs mail list as long as people keep
you CC'ed. I don't think that having a tracker just for the sake of having
one is going to attract new contributors.

I'd rather, say, put some more work into cleaning the kruft out of the
To-Do list, then put that effort into migrating the kruft to a fancier
filing cabinet.

Cheers,

Jeff