Re: Clone database using rsync?

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: sparikh <sparikh(at)carcharging(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Clone database using rsync?
Date: 2013-11-11 21:32:49
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 3:49 PM, sparikh <sparikh(at)carcharging(dot)com> wrote:

> Thanks Jeff for your quick response.
>
> I inherited this system and they had cron job which uses pg_dump for back
> up. I recently used to rsync to bring back my hot standby when it was out
> of
> sync and offline for few days because of space issue. That is when the
> thought that I might be able to use rsync to clone database.

Ah, I see. Yes, you can't use pg_dump to seed a standby, so if really want
to have a pg_dump for backup, then you will need to have two different
methods.

> If I understood your reply correctly, you are currently using rsync for
> both
> clone and backup. Is that correct?

No, I use pg_basebackup and wal archiving/recovery for both backup, and for
cloning dev/test servers. I'm pondering whether I should also take pg_dump
occasionally so that I have a platform-independent secondary backup.

But I'm a big fan of practicing your restoration procedure, so if you want
to keep using pg_dump as your backup, I think I'd also use that dump to
make clones, unless there is a good reason not to.

Cheers,

Jeff