Re: pg_stat_activity

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bala Venkat <akpgeek(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_stat_activity
Date: 2014-04-02 19:17:27
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 12:00 PM, Bala Venkat <akpgeek(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> We are using postgres 9.0. When I looked at the pg_stat_activity table.
>
> I have some rows where there is difference of 2 hours between
> backend_start and xact_start
>
> But there is only few milli seconds between xact_start and query_start.
>
> All them have wait as false.
>
> My question is, is the query still executing and also why would there be
> that much time difference between backend_start and xact_start

Say I connect to the database, and then I go to lunch for 2 hours. Then I
come back and start a transaction.

Or, I connect to the database and run a two-hour query. Then
rollback/commit that, and I start another transaction.

To know the state of the query, look at the "current_query" field. (In
newer versions, look in "state" field, but that is not in 9.0)

Cheers,

Jeff