Re: Significant Execution Time Difference Between PG13.14 and PG16.4 for Query on information_schema Tables.

From: Richard Guo <guofenglinux(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, nikhil raj <nikhilraj474(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Significant Execution Time Difference Between PG13.14 and PG16.4 for Query on information_schema Tables.
Date: 2024-08-28 03:30:45
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Aug 28, 2024 at 5:52 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> I realized that actually we do have the mechanism for making that
> work: we could apply add_nulling_relids to the expression, if it
> meets those same conditions.

I think this should work, as long as we apply add_nulling_relids only
to Vars/PHVs that belong to the subquery in this case, because only
those Vars/PHVs would be nulled by the outer joins contained in the
nullingrels.

> If we go forward with this, I'm thinking about
> changing add_nulling_relids' API contract to say "if target_relid
> is NULL then all level-zero Vars/PHVs are modified", so that we
> don't need that relid set in non-LATERAL cases.

+1. In LATERAL case, we can always find the subquery's relids in
rcon->relids. In non-lateral case, any level-zero Vars/PHVs must
belong to the subquery - so if we change add_nulling_relids' API to be
so, we do not need to have rcon->relids set.

Thanks
Richard